Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Republican Convention...

Well, I totally missed the first day, and was really bummed out, as Fred Thompson and Joe Lieberman were slated to speak Monday...
Then I woke up this morning and saw that I hadn't missed them, they'd been moved to Tuesday!

So, I started watching just as Fred Thompson stepped up. He definitely looked healthier and more energetic than during the campaign.
I really liked his speech, though I thought it might be nice if he were to elaborate on some details better. It was really cool that he linked McCain's POW experience to his character, and made the distinction that it doesn't mean he should be president sense he was a POW - this helps get away from people like frmr. President Carter saying he is milking it for all it is worth.
It was also nice to see how he was able to show how gov. Palin does have more experience than Obama as well, as that has been something I have been seeing the media attack Palin for as well.

Lieberman's speech was quite good as well. I've come to really like him recently, but I was nervous he was speaking at the RNC in such a prime-time slot (or at all really). He seemed to pull it off reasonably well. It wasn't as stirring as Thompson's, but the message was good, and it appealed to me, and obviously to the people in the stadium too.
It was also quite nice to see him hit Obama a bit for his inexperience and "not reaching over the aisle" - as I get really annoyed anymore with him saying we all need to come together. Obama's version of together is everyone come to his side and be quiet and listen.

Once everything was said and done, I really wished it would continue, and usually I don't feel that way about conventions - so I think tonight went really well.
I will be interested to see now how the other speakers do now tomorrow...

No comments: